Monday, January 18, 2010

Anyone who has used Paxil to control anxiety... Feedback please?

Did it help? Did it not work? How were the side effects? Were you able to ween off of it fine? After you quit did you start having anxiety problems again or did it help you long term?





Anything additional please add.





I've always been sort of anti-drugs/pills when it comes to all these pills on the market, but my anxiety has gotten so severe that pills cant make my life any worse if you know what I mean. So I'm currently debating Paxil, I was told by my doctor after I explained this to him, that Paxil has hardly any side effects and hes never had a patient thats had a bad reaction to it.





And please, don't respond unless you've taken it, or known someone that takes/taken it. Thx :)Anyone who has used Paxil to control anxiety... Feedback please?
Hi,





Both my sister and I were put on Paxil in high school for anxiety and depression. And we both got off of it as soon as possible.





For me, it did make me feel ';foggy'; all the time, as well as dizzy or lightheaded and just generally ';blah.'; I was 14 when I started taking it and I was on it for about a year before switching to another med. I remember after being on it for a month or two, I was at the movie theater with some friends and I was telling them I didn't feel right because I was on this medication called Paxil. And this lady sitting in the row in front of me turned around and said ';Did you say Paxil? I'm sorry to interrupt, but I was on that for years and it was a nightmare. Get off it as soon as possible and switch to something else.'; The lady's husband was nodding his head in agreement and it scared me so much I asked to switch meds. My mom and doctor said to ';give it time,'; so I did, but I never found relief from it. There's no medication in the world that will ';fix'; everything. Once you come off a medication, you will be exactly the same as before unless you've changed other things (learned new coping skills for your anxiety, dealt with any underlying issues, etc.). As for weening off, I don't really remember the process except that I felt like total crap during it. Paxil can cause really uncomfortable flu-like symptoms. I remember the movie theater lady telling me she was sick in every way for several weeks while trying to come off.





Paxil causes many side effects for many people. I ended up on a huge mix of meds over the next few years (the one that stuck was Prozac and Zyprexa) and really never felt ';right.'; I finally got off everything about 5 years ago and have never felt better. I know that's not the case for everyone, but I found that taking the meds while in rigorous therapy was the answer. Eventually we have to learn to cope with our anxiety without needing medication. It just makes life easier. Unless you want to be on meds your whole life... My sister has ended up on a horribly debilitating cocktail of meds because she refuses to deal with anything in therapy. She's currently on high doses of Prozac, Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Abilify, and Provigil. She is literally a shell of her former self, like a walking zombie. It's really sad.





I'm not trying to scare you! Sorry! I just hope you seek help with a therapist as well, not just a psychiatrist. I hope you find some relief over the next few years, hang in there...Anyone who has used Paxil to control anxiety... Feedback please?
I took paxil for depression. It worked very good with few side effects. The problem I had while taking it was the inability to ejaculate. It took a long time to achieve orgasm or not at all. If you do stop taking the drug it is recommended to gradual reduce to dose and not stop it suddenly.
After being in and out of rehab several times I have found paxil to be the best for me but ask a dr cause I don`t know anything

No comments:

Post a Comment